I have a friend's 21st birthday party on Saturday night. Its being held at some bar in QV and I know its gonna be an awesome night! I'm really looking forward to it. The only thing that I'm worried about is the dress code. Now, I'm not the best with dress codes usually, the only ones I really know about are formal, whip out the suit, and casual, what I wear everyday! But the dress code for this party is smart casual.

Now my interpretation of smart casual is something that looks great, but not too over the top. So I know not to whip out the tuxedo, or the turn up in the moccasins. I think that it has to be somewhere between the two. By the way, I won't be turning up in a tuxedo and moccasins, even though that would be in between.

I asked some people at work what they thought I should wear, and most just said to wear a shirt and a good pair of jeans. Their justification of the whole thing was that the shirt was the smart bit and the jeans were the casual bit. I wanna know if that works vice versa as well though. What if I wore a t-shirt and dress pants? I've got the two, smart and casual, but apparently from the stupid looks I was getting from my colleagues, I figured that wasn't the best idea and just went back to my desk.

I'm going shopping tomorrow night, so I'll see if anything jumps out at me when I'm looking for stuff. I'll probably end up asking the sales staff what smart casual is, because I still have a vague idea, but don't wanna turn up too dressy, or under dressed!

AdamMac
Rummaging around in the closet.

5 Comments:

  1. Paul said...
    What are you doing back in the closet adam! Yes i hate those two little conflicting words 'smart casual' simply because there is no generally accepted definition.

    Wiki offers:
    Collared shirt (perhaps a tennis shirt instead of a dress shirt) and cotton trousers (such as khakis), shoes (such as loafers and dress sandals) without socks is generally acceptable.

    - The only advice i have is that if your unsure, it is always better to dress slightly above your perception, that way the only reason your standing out is because you look better than everyone else.
    ~shan said...
    jeans, shirt and black shoes, not sneakers. or dress pants, cool rock tee with the dress jacket...as long as its doestn have the shoulder pad things or is double breasted.
    but what do i know? im a girl who is always over dressed or in trackies
    Sue Ellen Mischke said...
    Premium denim.... Diesel preferably... Not destroyed denim, but not totally stiff denim either. Then, a top and a blazer. Depending on how smart you want to be, you can wear anything from a crisp, button-up collar shirt with a structured, clean blazer to a faded tee with a less dressy blazer. Of course, NO shoulder pads. Do not wear sneakers, but do not wear the shoes you'd wear with your tux. Black or brown casual shoes will do. You could probably even get away with a cute pair of sneakers... a la Diesel or Puma.

    I specialize in smart casual. If I was in Australia right now, I'd take you shopping and you'd be the smartest most casual bitch in the place.
    AdamMac said...
    Ok, so the party was last night...

    This is what I wore...
    *Stripey Shirt, with different shades of green, vertical stripes.
    *My favourite pair of the jeans, which are a dark denim colour.
    *A hot new pair of dark brown leather shoes, I bought them yesterday and don't wanna take them off :P
    Anonymous said...
    Smart casual=looking casually smart

    Just go to the party and casually mention a few interesting, yet relatively unknown facts throughout the evening to appear smart.

    Simple.

Leave your own Bitchy Remark!




 


Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
This blog is best viewed with Firefox, it looks prettier.